Universal Metal Products, located in Wickliffe, Ohio, specializes in custom metal forming, serving customers globally in the Appliance, Transportation and Industrial markets for over 60 years. We are strategically located in three US locations with over 100 forming machines. We provide tooling design, value-added assembly, heat treat and finishing operations.
Our success is a result of our diverse, talented and hard-working teams. We’re committed to teamwork, training and development, continuous improvement and the safety and well-being of our people.
We’re excited to announce that we have a need for Tool & Die Apprentices to join our team.
Our internal program provides the ability to work towards completion of a State Certified Apprenticeship to become a Tool & Die Maker. This requires formal education, paid for by the Company, and a set amount of on-the-job training hours.
Some of the duties the Apprentice will learn/train to do includes:
- Plan/perform bench and machine operations requiring simple setups and methods to maintain close tolerances
- Adjust and repair tools, jigs, fixtures and gauges of routine to simple design.
- Set up and operate tools such as lathes, milling machines, shaper and grinder to machine parts and verifies conformance of machine parts to specifications.
- Fits and assembles jigs, fixtures, tools and dies.
- Reads and interprets routine blueprints or works from verbal or written instructions for the part.
- Uses hand tools of the trade.
- Perform difficult and exacting machine operations requiring a variety of setups and methods to maintain close tolerances.
- Under routine, close supervision.
- Prior to entering the Apprenticeship, the incumbent should either a) come from a vocational, or “tech prep” program at the high school, vocational or community-college level or b) have a minimum of one (1) year prior machine operation, possibly setup experience in the metals industry.
- This position requires dependability and reliability – strong adherence to attendance policy
- Requires a high degree of precision and control in work
- High attention to detail and mechanical aptitude
- Ability to read complex blueprints and other required documents
- Must be willing to learn and self-motivated