Women’s History Month is the perfect time to celebrate the women who paved the path for women all over the world and created so many opportunities that we continue to enjoy to this day. As a female-owned company with many women on our staff, UMP is extremely grateful for the opportunities that these women have created. Universal Metal Products would not be the company it is today without the historical female trailblazers who fought against societal norms and overcame adversity to achieve greatness.
We invite you to join us in celebrating Women’s History Month by acknowledging the women who have helped to shape the business landscape, particularly those who have broken through the glass ceiling and challenged societal norms to make the world a better place for women everywhere.
Celebrating Historical Women in Business
There have been so many women who have shaped the business world that it’s hard to list them all! With that said, here is a list of some of the most important women in the history of business:
- Madam C.J. Walker: Born Sarah Breedlove, she overcame poverty and hardship to become America’s first self-made female millionaire. Madam C.J. Walker developed a revolutionary line of hair-care products and cosmetics specifically designed for black women. Her business empire not only broke financial barriers but championed entrepreneurship and social justice within the black community.
- Olive Ann Beech: Often referred to as the “First Lady of Aviation”, Olive Ann Beech played a pivotal role in shaping the aviation industry. In 1932, she co-founded Beech Aircraft Corporation alongside her husband. Upon his passing, she stepped up as president and CEO, demonstrating remarkable business savvy. Under her guidance, Beech Aircraft became a powerhouse of general aviation, and during World War II, a vital supplier of military aircraft with over 7,400 planes built for the war effort. Beech’s leadership expanded the company’s influence in both civilian and military aviation sectors, leaving a lasting impact on the industry.
- Estée Lauder: This visionary entrepreneur began by selling homemade skincare products and built a global beauty empire that still bears her name.
- Elizabeth Arden: A fierce rival of Estée Lauder, Florence Nightingale Graham (known as Elizabeth Arden) pioneered the concept of the modern beauty salon. She revolutionized the industry by blending skincare, cosmetics, and a focus on the complete beauty experience.
- Coco Chanel: Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel rose from humble beginnings to become a fashion icon. Her designs epitomized modern elegance and liberated women from the restrictive corsets of her time. Her influence reached beyond clothing into jewelry, fragrances, and accessories, building one of the most recognizable luxury brands in the world.
- Oprah Winfrey: A broadcasting titan, Oprah created a self-made media empire encompassing television, magazines, film production, and philanthropy. From her groundbreaking talk show to her global book club, Oprah Winfrey’s influence has transcended the business world, inspiring and empowering millions around the globe.
Universal Metal Products is a female-owned company that helps with the creation of metal components for the automotive, appliance, and industrial industries. We are able to create a variety of custom and standard components for vehicles, HVAC units, refrigerators, electronics, sub pumps, and much more. Along with volunteering, championing noble causes, and charity, we value equality. This is why we focus on creating a culture of inclusivity. We do this by offering family-friendly policies and work shift hours, equal pay for equal work, and a dedication to providing a positive and harassment-free workplace environment.
We hope you join us in celebrating Women’s History Month by learning more about the amazing women who have shaped history and the women who continue to break new ground, innovate, and lead their teams to success.
If you are looking for metal stamping services, contact us! We’d be happy to speak with you. We proudly work with female-led and operated companies and people of all backgrounds and ethnicities.
To learn more about our employment opportunities visit our Careers page today.